Hello! It's a Pleasure to Meet You

Hello, I am Jamie and I am from a small mining town in Southwest Missouri known as Granby, Missouri. This is my first blog so please bear with me. I am a girl on a specific mission. I LOVE my hometown, but unfortunately it's historical buildings are dwindling away. I have created this blog and a Facebook page (fb.me/granbyhometowngirl) to familiarize my friends, family, community members, and admirers of all things historical with my mission. Along with this blog and the FB page, I am currently working on researching historical grants, desperately trying to work with Granby's  TIF committee, and creating a Twitch account to raise funds. My Mission.....Save/restore 112 N. Main Street (aka the old Hardware Store).  I want to start off by saying I am NOT a non-profit organization and I will be utilizing this building for my business in the future. Before we go any further let me clear up a question that might have just cropped up in your mind .....YES, the restoration of a historical building I own will benefit me and my children personally; however, the benefits run MUCH deeper than one family and you will see that as I unfold the many parts of this mission. You also need to know, I have been and will continue to restore other historic buildings on Main Street utilizing the modest teacher salary I earn. There are several reasons why I believe this will be beneficial for my whole community and I will discuss them as we progress throughout this mission.

There are so many things I want to tell you and my thoughts are racing as to how to tell you everything I think you should know about my mission. Knowing what order to lay it all out in a blog is more  much difficult than I imagined it would be. I think it might be best to start off by giving you a small snippet of who I am and why I am asking for your help.

As I've stated before, my name is Jamie Arnall. I am a mother of three great kiddos, Destiny 18, Jayden 11, and last but not least Alijah 7. I am currently a Special Education teacher for the McDonald County School District. I have worked at their Rocky Comfort Campus for the past 12 years. My teaching assignment this past year has been in the Resource room, as the "one and only" Special Education teacher for all grade levels in our building (Kindergarten through eighth grade....I'll leave you to digest that a bit)....... Even though I love my students and my Rocky Comfort family, I really look forward to Fridays and Saturdays, because I run a quilt shop in my hometown called Heavenly Notions. (Yes, we do have an FB page, feel free to check it out at fb.me/heavenlynotions and see what we have been up to) 

Along with my passion for teaching and quilting, I have discovered that my roots run deep in my hometown. I have developed a huge love for our historic buildings. So far, My family and I have remodeled a few older homes and one commercial building. The longer I live in my hometown, the less I can bear to see our historic buildings falling down or being torn down, thus I must begin my mission.


Over this next year, I want to take anyone and everyone willing to follow me on a journey. I will open up my world and heart to reach out to all of you with a soft spot in your heart for historical buildings. I will challenge you to take the time to see my genuine tenacity to save my hometown's historical district and give new life to buildings that have captured my heart and the heart of others for years.


I will share old pictures, new pictures, and/or videos weekly highlighting Granby and the projects I am working on. I have spent numerous hours and dollars investing in my hometown, but I fear that I bit off more than I can chew with one building in particular (ie. 112 North Main Street) yet, in my opinion, it is the one with the most significance in my town and that is why I am asking for your help.


As you follow me during this journey, if you feel inclined to contribute to my mission, please remember there are many ways you can help. Words of kindness and encouraging comments online will be greatly appreciated and is highly desired. Supportive gestures, such as sharing our posts and telling your friends and family about our mission, is another great way to play an important part in this mission. Visit Granby, Missouri and shop at our local shops owned and ran by our citizens, which happens to be one of my favorite contributions (btw, I work 5-9 Friday nights and Saturdays 10-5 at the quilt shop on Main. I don't care if you quilt or not, stop by, I would LOVE to tell you about my mission in person!).  Another great way to contribute is with monetary contributions. ALL contributions given will be placed directly in a fund set up solely for the restoration of 112 N. Main St. and ALL ledgers, which include bank balances as well as expenditures, will be posted monthly on this blog and our FB page so you know EXACTLY where your contributions are going. These are just a few of many ways you can be a part of this great mission.


After reading this post, I'm sure it all is clear as mud, but don't despair, more is to come! Give it time and follow my mission and I'm certain you will fall in love with my hometown too!  My next post will be next Sunday, April 22nd, 2018 if not sooner.

Comments